[epub] Web theft--reply to Ray Whiting
  • To: <epub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [epub] Web theft--reply to Ray Whiting
  • From: "Michael Werner" <dmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:59:17 -0500

From: "Michael Werner" <dmw@magicnet.net>

>> As one who writes 12-15 brief articles a week on my regular
>> projects, plus
>> other pieces as needed, I'm interested in this topic....  but
>> how does one
>> go about discovering such theft?    I mean, should I be doing
>> web search on
>> my article titles?  unique phrases I may have written?
>>
>> How do others discover they've been ripped off?
>>
>> Ray whiting

I know it would be a potential legal nightmare, but it
sure would be nice if there were a PiratesAndThieves.com
site where folks could go and post their experiences, naming
names.  Ahhhh, wishful thinking.

Lacking that, I think he best way to stay on top of your writing
is to continue to hang out on the sites, lists, and zines where your
writing would normally appear.  That's exactly how I caught
my perp . . . he actually ANNOUNCED (sheesh, stupid con tricks
or what?) his new content.  I went to his site not suspecting
to see my stuff; just happened by there 'cause it sounded so
interesting.  No wonder why :-)