Re: [epub] Formating so lines break evenly.
From: "Dr.MANI Sivasubramanian, M.D." <sivaraj@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in>

Hi Penny

You wrote:
> I format my newsletter in ezine assistant and
> when I send it looks like
> nothing the way I formatted it.
> I usually format at 55 chars and the above is the way it comes out.
> what is wrong?
> Penny

Here's an excerpt from my newly published e-book, E-ZINE
LAUNCH, that might help answer your question of why messages
look badly formatted despite using 55 character line lengths -
see Publisher Gaffes.

= = = = = = = = BEGIN EXCERPT = = = = = = = = = =

6.1 	Line Length

If you type out an e-mail in a text editor like
Notepad in one long line, and then cut-and-paste
this message into an e-mail and send it to your
friends, each will see a different layout depending
on their e-mail program.

This is because each program is designed to 'break
lines' (decide to stop and move the text to the next
line) at a specified length.

Most programs break a line after 70 characters,
including blank spaces.  What this means to you,
the publisher, is that all the text after the 70th
character will automatically be pushed to the next
line.

This may cause your e-zine to look awkward.  For
example, here's how a paragraph may look on your
reader's screen:

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Hi.  Thank you for reading
this e-zine, I hope you enjoy
its automatic
ally being
distributed to you, and find it
helpful in your business or
leisure ac
tivities.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

And that isn't all.  Some e-mail programs break
lines after just 65 characters !  I've even heard
of a few that break every 60 characters, but this
is very uncommon.

To get around this constraint, you need to adopt a
simple rule.  Limit the length of each line of your
e-zine to 65 characters - maximum.

This does not mean writing in very short sentences.
Instead, once you reach 65 characters, you insert a
'hard return' or 'line break'.  This is done simply
by pressing the ENTER key on your keyboard.

Now when your e-zine is displayed on the reader's
screen, each line breaks exactly where you want it
to - after 65 characters - instead of where the
program's design tells it to.  You have now secured
better control over the appearance of your e-zine
across various e-mail programs.

A few more tips to avoid formatting glitches:

1. Try and avoid using word processing programs for
creating e-zine content.  The lowly and humble NOTEPAD
that is bundled with all Windows software is an ideal
program to compose e-zines.

2. Always e-mail a copy of the completed e-zine to
yourself first.  This helps in two ways:

* you can see how your e-zine will appear on an
e-mail client like yours (if possible, view it in
many different client programs)

* you can check for special formatting tags.
To do this, use the SHOW HEADER option of your e-mail
program to view the entire message header.   Look for
a line that says:

All of these are danger signals - it means your text
contained some special tags or characters which your
e-mail client has converted to standard text.

Instead, you should be happy if you see

charset="us-ascii"

AND

(or not see this line at all)

6.7	Publisher Gaffes

You have learnt of the vagaries your reader's e-mail
programs impose on your e-zine.

But there is an equally important limitation - the
e-mail program that you use to send out your e-zine !

Here are two steps you can take to avoid formatting
gaffes on your end.

1.	Send your e-zine out in PLAIN TEXT FORMAT only.
Other options that your program might offer include
rich text, HTML or both plain text and HTML.

2.	Do not send out your e-zine with quoted-printable
encoding.

3.	Ensure that your e-mail program does not wrap
lines shorter than 65 characters.  This can happen
when your own program is set to break lines at less
than 65 characters.

6.7.1  	But How Do You Check On These Matters?

Many e-mail programs have a set of default settings.
Some of them might be configured to send rich text or
other forms of text, or to use encoding, or to wrap
lines at a specific number of characters.

To find out what your e-mail's default settings are and
how to make changes to them, take a look at your user's
manual.

= = = = = = = = END EXCERPT = = = = = = = = =

Hope this helps

Dr.MANI Sivasubramanian, MD

E-ZINE LAUNCH ...the e-book to help you create, design and
market your own profitable e-zine on the Internet
<http://www.drmani.com/business/ezinelaunch.htm>

Subscribe FREE to'The HEART BEAT' Health-E-Zine
http://www.drmani.com/heartbeat/subscribe.htm
mailto:subscribe@drmani.com