Re: [epub] E-book publishing
Individual.com is the #1 site for FREE personalized news on the
Internet. Set your personal preferences once and we bring your
news directly to you every day! Click here to customize your news:

Denise, I've published a few e-books and can offer some suggestions.

If you go with an "e-book publisher" you may run in to some of the same
issues as with paper publishing.  You will be restricted from using your
material in other ways or selling it directly, without going through your
publisher.  There are better ways for those of us who are control
freaks.  (Not that I know anyone like that.  ;o)   )

You can create the e-book yourself, using Adobe Acrobat (PDF) or one of the
e-book publishing programs.  I like PDF because the files can be read
across platform by either PC or Mac.  You can sell the e-book from your
website, as a download or deliverable by e-mail.  I got a thrill the day I
sold my first e-book to someone in Australia!  And I didn't even have to go
to the post office--just click "send."

You can also sell your e-book in PDF through http://www.booklocker.com  or
http://www.mightywords.com.  Each pays 50 - 70% of the sales price.  Mighty
Words charges $1 a month for each file you have with them.  Don't expect
them to market your e-books, though.  You have to drive people to the sites
to buy them.

Another possibility is to put your masterpiece on CD-ROM.  Amazon.com
doesn't sell e-book downloads, but they will sell your e-book if it exists
in tangible form, such as disk or CD.  Of course, it will also need an ISBN
(http://www.bowker.com) to sell on Amazon.  You may be able to get your CD
in other online or offline bookstores, too, once you have an ISBN.

Profit margin can be excellent on e-books, especially if you are selling
downloads rather than physical products.  Let's say, though, that you sell
a CD on Amazon for $19.95.  Amazon will pay about $9 in their Advantage
program.  Your cost (including shipping to Amazon) should be $2 - $3.  That
means you make a profit of $6 - $7.  Not bad.  From your own site, it's
even better.

This is sort of a quick overview, but I hope you've gotten something of
value out of it.  I'll be glad to answer anyone's specific questions as
best I can.

Cathy Stucker
Author of "Selling Bytes, Not Books"
http://www.idealady.com/products.htm