Re: [epub] When to unsubscribe addresses
At 02:25 PM 12/20/00, Sheila wrote:
One of the fun, new things I have been learning this past month,
as I have started managing my own list software, is how to
handle and deal with bounce messages and undelivered mail.

I believe there is a balance between the amount of time that I
should spend on this problem, and trying to retain subscribers.

I have a hotmail address, that is subscribed to my list. I took
over control of my list on Nov. 15th (stopped using Topica.com).
This person has never posted a message to my list. Some time
after that, I started getting bounce messages from hotmail,
saying the user's account is inactive. I set this subscription
to "no mail" on Dec. 9th.

Reviewing hotmail's TOS, it takes 60 days of not accessing the
account before it is set to inactive status. I have sent a few
test messages to the account, but they all come back with the
"inactive" message from hotmail.

Would you delete this address? Does it seem likely this person
will ever start using their account again?

	I generally wait about a month before killing an address that
is bouncing, unless I can determine from the SMTP errors that
the account has been yanked.  You get better info on this from
ISP's than you do free services.

	GFM

Geof F. Morris: Chief Editor, TOTK.com Sports
http://www.TOTK.com/
No-holds-barred, fan-oriented sports commentary -- for FREE!
Talk about it: http://www.TOTK.com/boards.html

eLerts