[epub] HTML vs. Text
The argument for text newsletters always seems to imply that HTML
format takes longer to read.  I'd say it's just the opposite - a well
designed HTML e-mail is easy to read - some text newsletters are such
a forest of underscored, dashes, and asterisks that it makes your head
hurt working through it all.

It is a basic axiom of page layout that headings and similar features
make a page more readable.  The relentless sameness of mono-spaced
font e-mail formats makes good page layout - at least what is
considered good in every other medium - impossible.

The fact that some people overuse graphics and other HTML goodies
doesn't have anything to do with those producing well designed HTML.

The real issue as I see it is this...The challenge facing e-publishers
is being accepted by the public and by advertisers as being
full-fledged, professional media on par with rest of the industry.
Like it or not...fair or not...this is not the case today.

Every other form of media conforms to high design standards.  Call it
shallow, say it's the quality of the content that counts, say whatever
you want...the fact is that virtually all successful publications are
produced to high physical standards.

It's a question of professionalism - or at least perception of
professionalism.

Additionally, the cold fact is that advertisers are going to demand
the options that HTML allows when making serious commitments.  Six
line text ads are never going to be a high-priced standard form of
advertising.

The conclusion seems unavoidable to me - it is largely HTML format
publications that will make it as major, long term, viable media.

Alan Isabelle

           Imagine the ROI of email campaigns
 based on a current 360 degree view of your customer.

Responsys Gateways synchronizes actionable touch point
data to optimize your email campaigns. Learn more from
a FREE white paper or webinar.
 AOL click here</a>