Re: [epub] Question about confirmations
At 02:15 PM 4/24/2001 -0400, pgoldsc@juno.com wrote:
>Early indications for me is that not confirming subscribers causes no
>real disadvantages.  I was never convinced, nor even completely clear, of
>the problems a confirmation is meant to avoid anyway.

The main (potential) problem caused by lack of a confirmation
process is people signing up others for a list. Confirmation
eliminates this.

Having said that, in my experience, the abuse problems caused
by a lack of a confirmation process are actually quite few in
number. The decision to go to "double opt-in" for my own lists
was actually made by my new list hosting provider
<http://www.Lyris.com/>, which requires confirmations.

Previously, I used SparkLIST, which I believe has not yet moved to
requiring confirmation. I suspect they will soon (if they haven't
already).

I'm taken some notes in the past regarding what types (topics) of
lists benefit more from a confirmation process. I hope to have an
article on that topic available soon.

Cheers,

Brian Alt
New EBook: The Insider Guide to Power Ezine Promotion
http://emailpossibilities.com/cgi-bin/pl/pl.cgi?epd

--------------->  Attention EPUB Members!  <---------------

   Please take a minute to fill out our reader survey. We'd
like to know what your needs are so we can continue to provide
     you with the best possible content and convince our
      advertisers that yes, you do exist :-) Thank you!

----------> http://List-Universe.com/survey.php <----------