Re: [epub] Can Mac Users...
> Can "Mac" users read *.txt files created on a Windows computer?
> I think the answer is yes, but I want to make sure before I get
> started on my next project.

The answer to this question is a little complex. Windows and Macintosh use
different line endings in text files. So a windows .txt file will read OK on
a windows machine but will have strange characters at the end of each line.
Text files created on a Macintosh will have no line endings when viewed on a
Windows machine and will appear as one long paragraph.

The Internet's http and ftp protocols help with this a little and normally
translate one version to another. So, if a text file is viewed or downloaded
over the Internet, any machine should be able to read it.

There are also utilities that translate text files from one platform to
another. BTW, UNIX uses different line endings than either Mac or Windows.

As you probably know, there is no provision for text formatting in .txt
files, so if you want to use different fonts, sizes or styles, then you'll
need to go with a .doc or .rtf format. Both of these can be read by many
applications on both the Mac and Windows. Another very good option is
Adobe's .pdf format which can be read on any machine with Acrobat Reader.

Regards,

Garth Catterall-Heart
webmaster@about-the-web.com
SpiritWorks Enterprises - http://about-the-web.com/spiritworks/
About-the-web.com Internet Guide - http://about-the-web.com

Feeling neglected by your email list hosting company?

High-speed, reliable email list hosting is our ONLY business.
Trust _PC Magazine's_ "Editor's Choice" with your list, and
get up to TWO MONTHS FREE! Call by May 31st for details.
SparkLIST.com Corporation o The Business Email List Experts
Tel: +1 877.772.7563