[epub] PayPal
Hi Janet.

I make PayPal available as one of my payment options and have had about
half my premium subscribers opt to use it.  I like it because it
specifically handles subscriptions (i.e., recurring billing) and it is a
respected brand, so that people who might be nervous about using my own
virtual terminal still have a painless way of paying for a subscription.

What I don't like about PayPal, and have never liked about PayPal, is the
hoops they make you jump through to use their system.  It's not the simple
"input your credit card information" stuff you get with a virtual terminal
setup, so if you're not already a member of PayPal, it's not as convenient
as a virtual terminal.  You also have to go back to the PayPal web site in
order to accept payments made to you, which is less convenient for the
seller than a virtual terminal/merchant account arrangement.  So, I don't
think people should use it as their sole payment option, but I do think it
can be good as one of your options.

When you set up for payment using PayPal, an email address is always
required, because payers are identified as email addresses rather than as
either businesses or individuals.  You can also require a shipping address
-- whether you need it to deliver the product/service or not -- if you need
it for your records.  They also let you set up a deferred payment for the
subscription option, in case you want to offer potential subscribes a set
number of free trial issues of your publication.

I haven't had my paid subscriptions up and running long enough to tell you
how well the recurring billing deal works (i.e., whether the customer is
simply billed without any advance warning, what happens if the funds aren't
available in the customer's account when the recurring billing date rolls
around, that kind of thing), but so far, I haven't any snafus to report.

Hope this helps some.

Cheers!
Dawn

Wahmpreneur
http://www.wahmpreneur.com
Business news for women who work where they live

   All orders over 50,000 are 20% off! Offer good until 4/30/02.

----------- http://Opt-Influence.com/c/pl.cgi?ppsapr1  -----------

       EPUB archives: http://Ezine-Universe.com/archives/

Post:                                 mailto:epub@list-universe.com
To Join:                         mailto:join-epub@list-universe.com