[epub] Being Accused of Spam
  • To: epub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: [epub] Being Accused of Spam
  • From: Debbie Adams <hansful4@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:20:42 -0400

       Discussion List Hosting for only $24.99 a month!
    Get the rock-solid dependability of SparkLIST.com Email
     List Hosting Services for your Discussion List Today!
          Keep the ideas and thoughts flowing and let
                   SparkLIST.com do the work!
           http://opt-influence.com/c/pl.cgi?sprkdis2

We were single opt in until Klez hit and now we're double opt-in which,
though good, can have its disadvantages, such as autoresponder loops.
On Wednesday, I checked my mail one last time before heading out for a
bit.  I got home a few hours later and checked it to find 2200+
messages!!  What  happened was this:  Klez munged the addy of a
company's employment submission addy and sent it to my subscribe addy.
My subscribe addy sent a confirmation request.  Other addy sent a *thank
you for your resume letter* WITHOUT the confirmation in the subject
line.  My addy sent a confirmation request..... and so on.  I had to ban
it and then it took me many hours to go through and manually check the
boxes and remove these requests from my system.

Anyhow, I guess the whole point of this is that I take valuable time
away from my family to keep track of sub/unsub requests because of the
Klez and to keep from being accused of spamming.  When Klez mungs a
personal addy, I manually unsubscribe them even though they're shown as
pending.  When Klez mungs a confirm addy, YG, Topic, Lyris, or other
obviously non-subscriber addy, I'll ban it to prevent it from happening
again.  All this takes time and I've only in the past few months had to
resort to such drastic measures.

Debbie Adams
http://www.homefireshearth.com - The ezine for Christian homemakers
"Being confident in this, that He who began a good work in you
will be faithful to complete it." ~~ Phil 1:6

                                 ~~~

       EPUB archives: http://Ezine-Universe.com/archives/

Post:                                 mailto:epub@list-universe.com
To Join:                         mailto:join-epub@list-universe.com