[epub] First Monday: Using digital signatures to solve the spam problem
re recent threads

The September 2003 issue of First Monday (volume 8, number 9)
at http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue8_9/

includes this article:

"Giving e-mail back to the users: Using digital signatures to solve the spam
problem", by Trevor Tompkins and Dan Handley*
http://firstmonday.org/issues/issue8_9/tompkins/

Abstract:

This paper argues that current legislative and private attempts to stop spam are either ineffective, or involve unacceptable tradeoffs. The key to solving the spam problem is recognizing the importance of e-mail authentication and the granting of permissions. Properly used, digital signatures can easily authenticate e-mail for effective spam control. The ability to manage public keys for verifying digital signatures provides each e-mail user the individual power to control who communicates with her and can therefore completely eliminate the practice of spamming. Finally, we recommend that software developers build the requisite capabilities for managing public keys into their e-mail programs. We argue for a technological solution as opposed to government legislation.

Ends with info about the authors:

Trevor Tompkins is the founder of SPAMSolution.org a private organization dedicated towards the technological solution of SPAM through the use of digital signatures. He holds a B.S. in Economics and is working on his M.S. thesis in Logic and Computation, both from Carnegie Mellon University.
E-mail: http://spamsolution.org/email/trevor.shtml.

Dan Handley holds an M.S. in Logic and Computation from Carnegie Mellon University and is a researcher in the Computational Systems Biology Group at Carnegie Mellon University. He is also currently a Ph.D. student in Human Genetics at the University of Pittsburgh.
E-mail: http://spamsolution.org/email/dan.shtml.

--
Message posted by Anne Hugo
Australian Clearinghouse for Youth Studies (ACYS)

Please support our new sponsor: MarketingWords.com
           I Can't TELL You How To Do It ...

 But I can SHOW you. I'm Karon Thackston, and I can show you
   how to find your perfect audience, discover their needs,
      give them what they want and produce an amazingly
    successful ezine. Over 80 resources, 70 free places to
      promote your ezine, 2 professionally designed HTML
           templates & free bonuses are included.

       Get serious about your ezine, starting today!
          http://opt-influence.com/nl/pl.cgi?mw