[epub] RE: Unsubscribe
Please unsubscribe

-----Original Message-----
From: Lois Carter Fay/Marketing Idea Shop
[mailto:lcf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 6:40 AM
To: epub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [epub] Re: Does permission expire? WAS Re: ezine relaunch

Janet,

Although I was one who urged Denise to institute a resubscribe program, you
bring up some valid points and I tend to agree with you. I would probably
ask my subscribers to opt OUT if:

--> I had published my ezine for at least a year before circumstances
intervened and I had to stop.
--> I had an unsubscribe system in place that automatically unsubscribed
bounced email addresses.
--> The "manual" unsubscribe was a one-click deal.

I don't think that permission expires if you are continuously communicating
with your subscribers. It's a gray area if you aren't keeping in touch
regularly, but if you have a system in place to eliminate bounces and handle
the few negative replies, I think you should go for it. The risk is worth
it, IMHO. And you'll end up with a pretty good list.

On the other hand, the advantage to requiring subscribers to opt IN is that
you will get a squeaky clean list, so when you do build it to a very large
subscriber base, you can begin to make some money on selling advertising in
it.

Lois Carter Fay, APR, Publisher
"MarketingIdeaShop BRAINY Tidbits" Weekly Ezine
Brainy ideas & resources for marketers & small biz
lcf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.marketingideashop.com