From: Dianne Reuby [mailto:d.reuby@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 4:23 PM
To: Epub Discussion Group
Subject: [epub] Trade mark violation?

Hi all. I got this email today:
Dear Web site Owner,
 it has come to our attention that you are listing one or more articles by Kendall Summerhawk
 which include mentioning 'weekly marketing wisdom'.
 S.R. Haden Industries owns the web site and service marks to the term
 'weekly marketing wisdom'. Kendall Summerhawk and any sites she has her articles on
 are in violation of U.S. Trade Mark / Service Mark laws.
 We ask that you immediately delete these articles which are in violation of our rights
 to that service mark :
 http://www.firstwebbuilder.co.uk/startmarketing.html
 We thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
 Yours Truly,
 Trade Mark / Service Mark Enforcement Department
 S.R. Haden Industries

The page in question has an article (which I have permission to use) by Kendall Summerhawk. Can the phrase "weekly marketing wisdom" really be trade marked? Surely it's too general a term for that. I'm in the UK, but presumably any US trademark laws would be international.

My main question is really - how far should we go in checking out articles supplied by the article banks?

Have a good week all,

Dianne Reuby
First Web Builder
http://www.firstwebbuilder.co.uk