[epub] Re: Newsletter service or install my own software?
  • To: Epub Discussion Group <epub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [epub] Re: Newsletter service or install my own software?
  • From: "jl scott, ph.d." <jlscott@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:08:01 -0600

This discussion has probably gone as far as it needs to go. Originally, I simply asked Chris why he wouldn't buy from someone who uses ClickBank. Not that I have any love for ClickBank and, in fact, at one time, questioned the legitimacy of some of their policies.

I continued because it burns me to see perfectly ethical and legitimate businesses put down for using third party merchant accounts rather than having their own. Most iCop members use third party accounts for a variety of reasons - many, as Mani pointed out, because they don't live in the USA and have no other choice.

Others do CHOOSE this road, and the assumption that it means their "credit is in the toilet" is ludicrous. The assumption that they are somehow second class businesses because they work from home is beyond ludicrous. AND, the idea that only BIG business (Exxon and Worldcom maybe?) can be trusted is just plain asinine.

I'll concede there are ways to avoid the problems shown in the articles regarding credit card fraud and what it can do to your merchant account. However, spending the time to do all that isn't cost effective. Time is money. Why take time away from marketing when, for less money in fees, someone else will do it for you? Doesn't compute to common sense to me.

Although, as Dawn said, 54% of all businesses in the USA are home-based, I'd venture to guess that over 90% of iCop members are home-based. I simply can't stand by and see people who are ethical, hard working and do NOT practice deceit to make themselves look like what they're not, trashed because of a stupid prejudice.

This is the 21st century. Internet business has created new ways of DOING business. Those old prejudices need to be left in the past, where they belong.

And, by the way, some really great software (which is what started this conversation) is made outside this country, and by people who can't have their own merchant accounts.

jl

jl scott, ph.d., Director of iCop

         International Council of Online Professionals
        iCop:  The Seal of Integrity in Online Business
           1002 Pine Lake Drive  Pineville, LA 71360
            318-445-9931  ***  http://www.i-Cop.org