To: "Epub Discussion Group" <epub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 5:00 PM
Subject: [epub] RE: Hosting - what is good notice?

What would be a good policy for a hosting company to have?

Depends on their history with abuse handling. As a general rule, what I like to see is:

1. They boot spammers.
2. They define spam as UBE.
3. They want proof before applying the boot.

Their policy is that they send you an email, give you 24
hours notice, and if you don't reply to the note, they
remove you.

Ummm... One *business day* makes sense. It's generally safe to assume you're not sending a lot of mail unattended while on acation. If you are, and have everything on follow-up autoresponders with confirmations required, the chance of problems is small.

Still, always back up everything before going on vacation. Too
many things happen when you're not looking.

What I'd like to know from that host is, what do they require
as proof that the complaint isn't valid? ie, That you're
really not spamming (assuming you're not).

BTW, that's the generic "you." I would be surprised if you
personally were spamming, Maria. ;)

Paul